We are sure that you are aware that no matter how good of a product you sell on Amazon, the product image you post can make or break your game. A high-quality, clean background image that gives your potential customers a clear idea of the image makes a lot of difference.
As we all know, humans have a short attention span, which makes them highly influenced by visual stimuli, not textual ones. And in case you didn't know, a study has proven that product listings with better images increase conversion.
If you are hoping to boost your sales on Amazon or are new to Amazon with zero ideas about their product image requirements, we are here to help. In this guide, we will briefly discuss Amazon product image requirements. Before that, let us go over some basics.
Types of Amazon Product Images
The types of product images depend upon the kind of product you have. But in general, there are three basic kinds of images, they are:
- Main Image
- Infographic Image
- Lifestyle Image
The main image is the most crucial aspect of your Amazon product listing and should always be with a white background to give the customers an idea of how your product will look.
Infographic images are the ones that have some texts that reflect the benefits of your image or a pictorial representation of the benefits of your image. An infographic image plays a pivotal role if you are hoping to highlight the overall functionality of your products.
Lifestyle images are essential to depict the product in action. Because the buyer cannot see or feel the image when shopping online on Amazon, it helps visualise what using the product would feel like.
Amazon Product Image Requirements
Below are some of the pre-requisites for an Amazon Product Image Listing:
1. The image must represent the item listed for sale and match the product title.
2. The product should cover 85 per cent of the image.
3. The image should be professionally photographed and scanned to show a realistic colour. Pixelation and jagged edges should not be visible.
4. Images containing nudity or being sexually suggestive cannot be used either. Leotards, swimsuits or underwear for kids and babies should not be displayed on human models.
5. Images should not have Amazon logos, trademarks, or anything that can be interpreted as one. It includes items like Amazon, Prime, Alexa or the Amazon Smile Logo.
6. Images should not have any Amazon badges like “Amazon’s Choice,” “Premium Choice,” “Amazon Alexa,” “Works with Amazon Alexa,” “Best Seller,” or “Top Seller.”
7. Cropped or close-up images are allowed.
8. Backgrounds must be pure white (RGB 255, 255, 255).
The size of your Amazon product image plays a pivotal role. The smallest file size you can use for your listing is 500px and if you want your customers to zoom in on the image, upload an image with 1000px. On the other hand, the optimal size of an image is 1600px, and on the most significant side is 10,000px.
Amazon Image main Requirements
Your main image is the hero of your image as it appears on the product page and the one that customers see during their search. The main image also appears in your Google search result.
Amazon shoppers have many products they can pick from, and your main image needs to stand out. Hence, a professional-looking, high-quality image could make a lot of difference. If your image is of poor quality, people will eventually move on to the following product. The following are the main image requirements for Amazon product listing:
- Main images should have a pure white background with RGB colour values of 255, 255, and 255.
- The main images should be professionally photographed and must not have graphics, drawings, illustrations, mockups, or placeholders.
- Props or accessories that do not come with the product should not be included in the photo.
- Text, borders, logos, colour blocks, watermarks, or other graphics placed over the product or in the background must not be used.
- Multiple views of the product are not allowed.
- The whole product should be displayed in the frame; images should not be edited or cut off by the edge of the frame, other than jewellery.
- Books, music, and video/DVD main images should be shown as the front cover art and fill the frame.
- Products must be displayed outside their packaging; boxes, pouches, and cases should only be seen in the main image if they are an essential product feature.
- No human models should be sitting, kneeling, leaning, or lying down can be displayed in the main image; however, models expressing different physical mobilities with assistive technology (wheelchairs, prosthetics, etc.) are permitted.
- Multi-pack clothing items and accessories must be photographed flat and not on the model.
- Clothing accessories should not show any part of a mannequin, even though it is clear, flesh-coloured, and so on.
- Kids and baby clothing must be photographed flat and not on the model.
- Men’s and women’s clothing must be displayed on a human model, not a mannequin.
- Shoes must be photographed at a 45-degree angle; only a single shoe needs to be displayed.
Amazon Lifestyle, Infographics and Other Secondary Image Requirements
Lifestyle, infographics and other secondary products help sell the products by highlighting the features and the benefits of your product. Regarding secondary products, you can show the product in use or in an environment where it fits. You can use props, backgrounds, texts, logos, and close-ups.
However, something that you must always keep in mind is that an excellent secondary image should not only be very glamorous but also help the customer in learning about the product, its colours, size and so on. Moreover, incorporating size charts and comparison photos is a brilliant idea, as they help increase conversions.
Amazon Product Photography Tips
A couple of tips you can use to boost your sales on Amazon are:
Tip 1: Use Good Lighting
Professional lighting makes a whole lot of difference when it comes to product photography. A professional photoshoot gives the customers a finer detail of the product. A dark, dull or shadowy image will make your customers move to a different listing.
Tip 2: Try Split Testing
Try the split testing method, where you use two different kinds of product images and see which ones work the best for you. Amazon has a few split testing tools available and uses external polling platforms like PickFu to get feedback.
Tip 3: Optimize The Images For Mobile
As per a study, it was shown that Amazon’s mobile users accounted for 98 million per month. And keeping that in mind, you must ensure that your images are optimised well for mobile phone users.
Tip 4: Use Images With A White Background
Using an Amazon product image with a white background makes a significant difference as it helps in making your listing look more professional and minimalistic while giving the customers a better idea of the product.
And in case you are wondering how you can get a white background product image for your Amazon listing, here is how you can do so using Erase. Bg, an AI-powered background removal tool:
Step 1 - Go to Erase. bg’s website or application (available for iOS and Android). Using the upload Image option or Drag and Drop feature, upload the Amazon Product Image you wish to remove the background.
Step 2 - Wait for a few seconds as your image gets uploaded, and once it does, Erase.bg’s AI will start working on removing the background of the image.
Step 3 - Once you get an image with its background Removed, click on the Edit option located in the top-right corner of the image, select colour and then pick the White colour.
Step 4 - Finally, download your Amazon product image with a white background.
In four easy steps, you will have your Amazon product image with a white background to help boost your sales. We have now come to an end with our guide on Amazon Product Image Requirements. We hope it helps you in boosting your sales on this eCommerce Platform.